The APA Handbook of Giftedness and Talent incorporates the most recent thinking and cutting-edge research from a wide range of fields related to gifted education, including developmental and social psychology, the neurosciences, cognitive science, and education. It consists of six sections:
- History and global perspectives on the gifted field and talent development;
- Theories and conceptions of giftedness and talent development;
- Gifted identification and assessment;
- Gifted education;
- Psychological considerations in understanding the gifted (e.g., the family, social and emotional considerations, friendships and peer relations);
- Special issues facing the gifted (e.g., policy and legal issues; the twice exceptional learner; underachievement and the gifted; ADHD and the gifted; suicide; perfectionism; bullying).
Steven I. Pfeiffer, PhD, ABPP, is a professor at Florida State University in Tallahassee, where he served as director of clinical training for over 10 years. He has also been a professor at Duke University in Durham, North Carolina, serving as executive director of their gifted program, and he has been the executive director of the Devereux Institute of Clinical Training and Research in Villanova, Pennsylvania.
Dr. Pfeiffer is an internationally recognized expert on the mental health and well-being of gifted individuals. He has twice testified at the White House before the National Task Force on Health Care Reform, and in 2012, he was a distinguished visiting scholar at the National Institute of Education, in Singapore.
Dr. Pfeiffer has an active clinical practice and conducts workshops for parents, teachers, and mental health professionals on topics related to gifted students. He is lead author of the Gifted Rating Scales, one of the most widely used rating scales in gifted identification.
His most recent books include Serving the Gifted (2013) and Essentials of Gifted Assessment (2015). In 2015, he coedited with Maureen Neihart and Tracy Cross the second edition of Social and Emotional Development of Gifted Children: What Do We Know?.
Dr. Pfeiffer is on the editorial board of 10 journals and frequently is invited to consult with educational programs and various organizations. For the past 5 years, he has served as a consultant to the Eris Foundation in Milan, Italy.
APA Handbook of Giftedness and Talent
American Psychological Association, © 2017
Leave A Comment